SPIRITUALLY HEALTHY FAMILY
Session 3: BREAKING THE POWER OF FAMILY SECRETS
THIS WEEK'S FOCUS
One of God’s keys to becoming a spiritually healthy family is living in the light by breaking the power of secrets in our homes. Some powerful truths about living in transparency, honesty, vulnerability, and truth:
“But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.”
John 1:7 (NIV)
1. What is a fun example of a secret you were able to keep, that proved a great surprise for
someone you love?
2. Have you ever been surprised by a family that seemed so together but fell apart because of a
secret that divided?
3. What are some of the reason John tells us to live a life of transparency, openness and
4. Have you ever had the experience of a relationship that was healed through confession and
5. What are some examples of secrets that you find yourself tempted to rationalize and sweep
under the rug? How can these things build up walls with God and people?
a. Negative attitudes
b. Being offended with someone
c. Speaking harsh words
d. Coveting or being envious of others
e. Thinking or dwelling on impure thoughts
6. Dale discussed the difference between dictating to people and dialoguing with people.
How good are you at hashing out issues when you sense division or disagreement, with
another in Christ? What do you think you especially need to remember?
a. Don’t seek to speak your mind before you seek to understand their heart.
b. Realize that you don’t have to see eye to eye to walk hand in hand.
c. Don’t let the comfort of denial keep you from actions of obedience.
d. Don’t allow the sun to go down on your anger.
e. Always affirm the value of the person as being greater than the weight of the disagreement.
f. Forgive before and forgive no matter what.
7. What is a relationship you need to apply this message to this week?